Tuesday 17 February 2015

The Letters | Review

I have recently been asked to review a new book by the author Ella Drayton. The Letters is a very fast-paced novel about Brodie Barrett, a widowed single mother of a 10 year old girl and a homicide detective for the Birmingham Police Department. Everything seems fine in her world until her ex-fiance, Keaton Maddox, walks back into her life; finding herself caught between the demands of her job, devotion to her daughter, the desire for romance to once again be an essential part of her life.

She is ready to start a new life with Keaton but he's also got a pregnant girlfriend working at his restaurant. Things at work start heating up for Brodie when someone decides to send her love letters at work. These aren't your ordinary love letters. These letters leave clues for Brodie to find bodies of her admirer's victims.

The book was chilling, but a the same time relatable and hilarious. Despite a lot of typos and missing words, I enjoyed the book- even though it’s not one I would normally pick up in store. The book clearly needs a re-edit, but the story, nevertheless, remains amusing throughout.

Readers will appreciate that the story remains focused on the clues, the characters have their individual strengths and weaknesses and the regional dialog is authentic throughout, best of all- the delightful sarcasm. As often happens when the truth is hidden in plain sight, the identity of the killer came as a surprise, without spoiling, it was very clever. All in all this was an enjoyable read, even though it’s not a genre I dabble in often.

2 comments :

  1. Abigail,

    Thank you so much for your review! I have been busy getting it through another round of editing. I am so glad that you enjoyed the story, though. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I would have found this book without your review, so thank you! This is absolutely my genre, and also my part of the country. I'm always looking for books set in the American south.

    As a bonus, this title is participating in the Kindle Unlimited program. I'll check it out this month.

    ReplyDelete